France’s National Assembly voted Tuesday to pass a bill to close down all bagel and bagel shop in the country.
The ban was put forward by the right-wing National Front party and it passed with a vote of 6 to 1.
The law has already been challenged by the bakery’s owner, who argued that the ban would be illegal under French law.
The bill, which has yet to be debated in the parliament, would prevent the establishment of any new businesses that would cater to bagel, bagel cafe, bagels, or any other food.
Bagel shop owners across the country have faced similar restrictions in the past, but this is the first time they have been targeted.
The National Front government says it wants to combat “Islamization” of the country, and its new law will target anyone who sells, processes, or processes products containing pork or lamb, which is considered a religious symbol.
The measure also outlaws any food preparation or serving that would not “serve the purpose of religion” and would include cakes, biscuits, muffins, or pies.
Bagels and other French food products have long been a hot topic for political debates in France.
Earlier this month, the National Assembly approved a bill that would allow Muslims to take part in the traditional May 4 festivities, known as the “Baguettes of the Cross,” to mark the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr.
In response, French President Emmanuel Macron accused the government of trying to “delegitimize Islam.”
“The new law imposes the Islamic law and all Muslims are not welcome in France,” Macron said during a visit to Paris in January.
“This law is not an Islamic law, but an anti-Islamic law.
I’m very angry that the government is trying to delegitimize our faith,” he said.
France’s Muslim population is estimated to be around 20 percent of the population, and the bill will only target Muslims who adhere to the strict tenets of Islam.
The new ban comes just days after the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) seized large swathes of Iraq from government forces in the wake of a year-long offensive.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks in Paris on Nov. 13, 2015, but no group claimed responsibility.
French police have confirmed that some of the attackers who attacked Paris had been arrested on the orders of ISIS, but have so far refused to confirm any links to ISIS.